Princess Tiana's cake

The design for this cake was given to me by the customer to copy, but I  changed some details in respect to the original design. Most customers would want me to copy the cake design - as is. But somehow I end up making some adjustments here and there and the customer have no complaints (none yet!)




With such hot hot weather.... this cake was really a challenge. The design was simple, not too many frills but boy! I had a really hard time with the fondant. It dries up very fast, the fondant becomes brittle and when laid upon the cake, it immediately show some cracks. Very frustrating. I did this the entire night way into the morning. I began kneading the fondant around 6pm. Had to change the pink fondant twice because of some unsighty cracks and the buttercream beneath it was melting in the middle of the night. I had no air conditioning so I have to endure! I was done around 4am. The name was not finished at this stage yet. I really need to get some sleep or I won't finished at all. 

I also had to change the name twice. The original design called for a swag or banner in silver with green letterings. I could not get perfect letters from the script cutters, so I just embossed them on the fondant, then piped the pink royal icing onto it for more texture. 

The pink balls were not fondant but bubblegum candies in assorted colors. I think the kids at the party will be surprised or they will just disregard it as hard sugar..TADAH! I cheat. I hate making fondant balls actually... They appear in different sizes even if I cut them equally. So, bubblegum to the rescue!



Comments