[Repost] Vanilla cake or cupcake recipe

This is one good recipe. Although the market here doesn't sell self rising flour, I just substitute it with just cake flour then add about 1 tsp of baking powder to every cup of flour. Sometimes when I search recipes, I take note of readily available ingredients in the market, or search for substitutes. Then I experiment in my kitchen and when it taste right, look right meaning the end result is cake... I go for it.

As I have said i am quite lazy to type every recipe I like so I just copy from the original source, that way I can give proper credit to where I got the recipe. Also my recipe notebook doesn't have the source, I just write evrything down that interest me. So this is better.
Hope this can also help you.

Happy Baking!!!


Credit to:  http://sweetapolita.com/2011/11/bakery-style-vanilla-cupcakes/
Source: Magnolia’s Vanilla Cupcakes from Food Network
Yield: 24 standard cupcakes
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups (190 grams/6.5 ounces) self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups (160 grams/5.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks/227 grams/8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups (400 grams/14 ounces) white sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (250 mL) milk
1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract–I use Nielsen-Massey Vanillas 8-oz. Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners of your choice (24 total).
2. In a small bowl, combine the flours and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
5. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners (I use this scoop Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 50mm (3-Tablespoon) to ensure consist cupcake sizes) and bake in middle of oven until tops turn golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out just clean (a few crumbs is okay), about 18 minutes.
6. Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
For the frosting:
Bakery-Style Vanilla Frosting
Ingredients
3 sticks (340 grams/12 ounces) unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
5 cups (625 grams/22 ounces) confectioners’ sugar (icing, powdered)
2 tablespoons (30 mL) milk
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract — I use Nielsen-Massey Vanillas 8-oz. Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
pinch of salt
Method
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5 minutes on medium speed (I use “4″ on my KitchenAid). Butter will become very pale & creamy.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium speed for 5 minutes. Frosting will be very light, creamy, and fluffy.
3. Add touch of gel food colour, if desired and mix until blended.
4. Best used right away.

Comments