What a Girl wants




This a cake for a lady and what do a lady wants? Actually these are basic for all girls out there. A dress, a shoe, a bag and some cosmetics, lipstick and powder being the basics. I didn't know what design I will make for a twenty something customer. I was contemplating on garden theme, a shower of flowers or just a simple decoration but something in me wants to do something I have not done before. I treat fondant modelling as playtime. Children have playdough, I have fondant. My daughter got tons of clay when she was like 3 or 4 years old and all I do is snake, rolled roses, fish, ribbon.... very limited imagination or art actually. In short, I was not very interested in modelling anything. Now, I am still amazed of how I got the patience to do what I do. Maybe because I have customers and I have to deliver. 

For the dress, I used a cookie cutter shaped just like that. The lipstick was the easiest. The compact mirror has an aluminum foil as mirror and cornstarch as powder. The bag has styro inside, cover in fondant and cut strips for the strap. The shoe was the most uncooperative one. Since it is fondant, it is very soft. I didn't have time to harden it with tylose beforehand.  I just eyeballed a shape of the sole, made the heel ( which keeps on swaying even if with a toothpick inside). I don't own a stilleto so I really don't know the structure of the shoe. Decorating with icing can be very constricting or limiting for me, so when a client wants an icing covered cake, I try to do the decorations in fondant, seldom using figurines or ribbons or styrofoam art like most bakeshops do. I try to know something about the celebrant and work from there. Sometimes they give their own design or they give me a freehand. The color of the picture was very pink because I set up the camera to vivid. 

Leave a comment to tell what you think. Have a great day!

Comments